Friday, April 20, 2007

Weekends are for Winners

I had a d'oh moment yesterday. Ha!
Carmen had asked me to take down the curtains for her, since she wanted to wash them. Thinking that I'd be doing her a favour, I took them down for her yesterday morning and then also decided to wash them for her. Big mistake. Lord knows I'm not the washing queen (Shane recently made me aware of the fact that you can mix 25,000 different shades of colour together in cold water without having everything turn pink or black...so there.).

I put them in the washer, spin-dried them and everything. When I hung them up, part of the window's glass could be seen from the bottom...I had somehow shrunk them. A lot. But HOW??????? I wailed, and wrote Carmen a message before leaving, which went something like this (of course in Spanish): "I washed the curtains for you, and in cold water too...but don't they seem shorter to you?"

When we all finally met up at the WOK (yummy chinese restaurant), she explained to me that the curtains shouldn't have been spin-dried...and that she had re-washed them in the bathtub and hung them up (still wet) so that they could stretch out. Apparently my note gave her the laugh of a lifetime, too. "Of course they seemed shorter to me, Heidi! There was practically a foot missing!!!" :-P

Let's not even talk about ironing. My ironing in Spain involves using my hair dryer and a nice, solid table. Oh yes, high five!

It's Friday, hooray! I'll be leaving for Malaga tonight after my class...pretty pumped :) On Sunday we'll be going to other little villages and beautiful places such as Ronda and Arcos de la Frontera...should be good, weather permiting.

Weather's been weird these last couple of days, very hot and then slightly chilly and cloudy...might rain today, too. Hopefully not.

This week flew by again. I don't know what it is, but I'm assuming it's because I'm loving Spain and am clinging on to the last few weeks as much as possible...

It's funny because I remember counting the weeks and months I'd be here...I stopped counting sometime between starting work at Covent Garden and Xmas. Guess it means that I'm just really comfortable here, and don't feel the need for a countup/countdown?

There's only 1 full week of April left, and on the 1st of May we have a holiday since it's Labour Day here. It'll be strange having a day off on a Tuesday, but we gotta take what we can get, eh?

I booked my flight to Rome! 94 euros...so excited for that as well. Now I'll just have to start booking hostels and planning our route.

In other news, thinking about having to find new roomies in September is scaring the bejeebers out of me. I hope that I'll find a good place close to UWO...with normal, fun people.

In other un-related news, I've been having bad dreams and my allergies have been preventing me from getting any decent sleep. Yes, I've caved and am taking my meds now (this time I even managed to avoid mixing them with beer...I earned my star for the day). They aren't as bad as when I was living in LogroƱo, but they're still poopooing my nights.
I think I'm gonna be a nerd and continue playing my PC game...I mean, c'mon...last time I played was in February...swear to God. What?
xoxoxoxox H


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

enjoy Malaga... maybe look into getting some kind of laundry service in London?? Just an idea so you don't shrink a carpet or anything.