Sunday, October 01, 2006

Beginnings (Take 2)

Well...it appears that I am about to embark on another new school year. I've prepared my classes for the next 2 days, printed off attendance sheets, photocopied worksheets, etc. Yes, I'm a bit nervous again, hopefully all will go well. I always feel like this before a new job...maybe I'm too hard on myself :P. All will be fine...somehow. I hope. Hehehe. Once I'm in the classroom with the students, I usually feel better.
I've written 2 TC essays out of my 5 so far. U of O: check. U of T: check (just needs revision from Shane). The other 3 will be dealt with later when the craziness at work slows down a bit.
On a good note, my 1:1 French student José seems to be really happy with my classes. I'm actually also going to be teaching an English conversation class to one of his coworkers. I was pretty proud of myself when my boss told me the flattering news.
I must say, pretty much all of the adults that I taught so far have been wonderful. Hopefully this keeps up...:)
I can't believe that I'll be teaching everything from 5 years old to adults again this year. I have never taught children who are that young...well, thankfully the school has a lot of great ressources and games for children. You should see how many games we are going to be playing this week, using basic vocabulary and numbers 1-10. My classroom for the 5 year olds makes me feel like a kindergarten teacher. Hey, I guess in a way, I am. But I'll also have 6 year olds and 11 year olds...then the rest are adults and one 18 year old who is preparing himself for the First Certificate Exam in English. I'm looking forward to the 11 year olds, actually. I hope we'll have good fun together.
So, I'll be super busy again, trying to get used to my new classes. Last year's October was nuts...but it was nice having Shane there to calm things down a bit :) I'll miss him even more when Oct. 12th hits.
The weather is still really beautiful here...I took a walk today and was sweating up a storm when I finally arrived back home. It felt like 30 degrees again, although the net said it was gonna be 27. Man....and it's October. Logroño wasn't even this warm, hehehehe. Yup, things are different in the south.
My coworkers are lovely. I went to see a movie with Donna last night and it was fun chatting together. Belen, Donna and I also went for some tapas a few days ago...was good fun, I always love meeting new people. I have yet to acquire the phone number from the other 2 teachers, Ruina and Shivonne.
So, overall I'm happy with our work team. We are going to be 6 teachers (another one coming tomorrow named Maria).
Hmmmm what else to say? You know that work is restarting when you go and buy a printer...yayy for printers :) I think that this was a good purchase...already printed off lots of documents, and it'll be vital for all of those TC essays.
Anyway, wish me luck for another school year. I can't believe this is my 2nd year of teaching. I remember how I always used to say in the past: If I have my 1st year of teaching behind me, everything else will be just a bit easier...
I think I 'll give my 400% percent again this year. Let's just hope my energy level doesn't get too drained during the first week.
love you all, xoxoxoxo H.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

luck luck luck... LUCK LUCK!
lucky lucky luck Luck! (luck)
luck luck luck, LUCKYYYYYYYYYYYY!

a luck haiku, for you.
s.