Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Cave of Wonders and Green Things

Yesterday was just what I needed: we finally went to La Sierra which is about 1 hour north of Huelva. It was a nice relaxing outing where giant trees, hills and mountains surrounded us wherever we went. We also visited lots of little villages, Aracena being one of them where we went on a 45 minute tour of a cave called La Gruta de las Maravillas. It was unbelievably beautiful. Too bad lots of pics didn't come out right since it was so dark.
The cave was gigantic, which is good since I am claustrophobic and wouldn't have been able to participate if the cave would have been really tight and small. It was very humid in the cave and a balmy 17 degrees (water was dripping everywhere). I felt like I was in another world...it was all so beautiful and quiet. Really worth visiting (I wished you were there with me Shane, you would have loved it!).



We basically went for a stroll in lots of different little villages surrounding the area. This pic was still taken in Aracena (it was above the cave). It was a cloudy day for the most part and a tad chilly with the wind, but I wasn't complaining...I wore my winter hat, Shane's mittens that he gave me last Christmas and thermal underwear (sexy!), hehe...










This pic was taken on top of a giant hill in Aracena. This used to be a tower of a castle, but the French destroyed it in 1812...grrrr.


Look at meeeeeeee! I'm going to lift off, wheeeeee!

















Me and Angel, still in Aracenas. This was a nice square that was located in the city centre...not too too much here, but clean and nice to look at. The town was very quiet, probably because of the cold and it being winter and all that...









This was very interesting. Our car was parked close to an area where in the old days, women used to come and wash their clothes in a huge communal "tank". They also each had their own stone scrubbers where they would rub the stains out of their clothes. Hmmmm...green, slimy water anyone? I'm sure it works better than Tide...or "Colón" as the most popular detergent is called here in Spain (cringes).













Scrub, scrub, scrub! I wonder how long ago these things were used... Are we EVER lucky not to have to do that anymore.













A beautiful church, one of only a bagazillion that Spain has to offer. I swear, this town had about 5 churches or so (Angel pointed them out to me). It wasn't even a big town, too.







This pic was taken in a little village called Linares. I think that there were only 200 or so inhabitants. The sun had started to peak out at around 4 p.m., so it was nice to feel the warm sun on your face while the wind blew fiercely. Made me think that it was spring already (but then again, this WOULD be spring in Canada).







These next few pics were taken in a teeny tiny area called Peña. It wasn't even a village since there weren't any houses...it's basically a beautiful area where one goes to get married (there's one church located on top of the hill) and then gets photographed at several gorgeous spots throughout the area.
There was actually a wedding going on while we were there, and the couple seemed to be posing for about 3487938247 pictures. We stayed there for a LONG time and they were still walking around with the photographer in the end, posing and smiling for more pictures.
This was just a lil monument where one could make the bells ring. It was located in an area that was to the far right of the church.


No, I do not know this muchacho. I took a pic of him because I loved the way he was nonchalantly rolling his cigarette and ocasionally staring off into space...that plus the hat and the coat wrapped around his shoulders screamed,"I'm begging to be looked at and taken notice of."















When I saw this tree I almost gasped. It reminded me of a scene in What Dreams May Come. I think I took about 5 pics of this one tree...I even snapped one of Angel (without him knowing it at the time) walking down towards the tree. I think it looked really good (one of my faves) and I later showed it to him. Just makes for such a pensive picture...and a peaceful one. I loved that tree.



Just me and Donna relaxing by the tree. After Angel took this pic, we pretty much just sat there and gazed at the sky and the scenery. It was breathtaking...and I think that we sat there without talking for a good 10 minutes or so. I hadn't felt this relaxed in a long time. It's so easy to forget REAL life and its beauty when we are constantly surrounded by sirens, motorbikes and people gabbing and fighting away over insignificant things.
I later stretched out on the grass and looked up at the swaying branches in the tree. I just couldn't wipe a huge grin off my face, try as I might.
Love you all, H.xoxoxoxo
P.S. Next Weekend Trip: Cordoba! Hostal's booked for 4!!! So excited...may I never stop travelling...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sweet pics, baby!

sexy mittens, too. Makes me jealous that there aren't any places around Cairo that you can just drive to in an hour.