Friday, March 31, 2006

Bingo 1996-2006

Well, I was going to post today mainly about all of the wonderful things that I saw when I took a REALLY LONG 2 hour walk all the way to the park called "La Grajera" (outside of LogroƱo). It was a gorgeous 25 degrees today, and having no class at all, I walked all the way there and basked in the sun for a good 6 hours...it sure was worth it.
I guess the title already tells you what I will talk about instead. My brother called me this evening by beginning with,"Are you sitting down?". That alone gave me a heart attack in itself, thinking that something had happened to my parents. He then proceeded to tell me how he had found our dog Bingo lying in the mud in our driveway, shaking and convulsing all over....he rushed him to the vet, where they gave him 12 (!) shots to try to anesthize him (his body wouldn´t go to sleep! the doctors were puzzled...). Bingo did not get hit by a car, the doctors found no bruises or broken bones. My brother thought that he might have eaten something bad, but the vets didn´t think so because if that were the case then his body would have reacted to the shots at least...
Maybe Bingo had some kind of brain tumor...we just don´t know. Nerve damage? Arghhh... Why was he twitching uncontrollably? My brother was crying at the vet´s...
When my brother told me this, I didn´t cry. I feel strange...disconnected. If I were in Canada right now I would be mourning and weeping to no end. I loved my dog Bingo; I had gotten him for my birthday....ah, Bingo, what memories we had! At least you knew that I loved you. We always called you the stupid, loveable dog...who´d have thought that the wild Blacky would outlive you? Well...now I am shedding tears.
The vets told my brother that they could keep Bingo for a couple of days...and that they could give him different shots. Problem is, the bill would escalate well above 1000$....my brother felt terrible, and said that it was unfortunately too much money (and first of all, the vets didn´t even know what was wrong with him!The bill could mount up to even more and yield no positive results). Finally, they put my loveable companion to sleep. My brother himself is going to bury him (where my cat Billy was buried in 1999). It all feels so surreal...I hope that he didn´t feel too much pain, but I am sure that he did. I wonder what happened, he was fine just a few days ago. Apparently he was convulsing and shaking so much on the rocky driveway that he even ripped off one of his toenails...oh, Bingo...what could have happened? Brain tumor? Maybe we´ll know from blood results in a few days...maybe not.
So strange. I feel centuries old.
I´m tired.
Goodbye Bingo, I loved you so much and will never forget you. Your friend 4ever, Heidi

1 comment:

Clara said...

Sorry to hear about Bingo my love. He's in Dog's Heaven now, remember that movie? I am sure Lucy will give you all her support :)miss ya, luv ya, eve.