Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I remember, once...


I remember taking long walks with my parents as a child in Germany and never ever wanting to head back home..."Can't we go just a little further?"


I remember getting my first bicycle in Germany. I screamed with delight when I saw all the candy that my mother had wrapped all around it.


I remember going to the baker's every morning before kindergarten started and always asking for either a chocolate croissant or a salami one. The woman at the counter was really nice.


I remember my first flight to Canada. My ears popped really badly and I was crying with pain. I had a little suitcase that had an elephant on it and I vividly remember asking my mother if our plane would fly upside down at some point. I was very scared.


I remember the cold and the snow. I remember just how cold our country house was when we first arrived...there was no heating at first, so my mother gave me a gigantic blanket that felt very heavy on my little body.


I remember some bad fights that I had with my brother (one that involved me pushing him down the stairs). I also remember good moments, and the many laughs that we shared.


I remember all those times when I was too scared to be taught Math by my mother because she was very strict. I always ended up asking my bro for help.


I remember following footprints of mice in the snow with my brother, pretending we were detectives. This game also included footprints of other kinds of animals...and we even once thought we recognized deer feet, "Santa was TRULY here last night!"


I remember being excited for our weekly Friday family swim at the local sports center. I remember how soft my hair always felt after using the town's water and not the hard country water.


I remember how my dad always opened his arms very wide whenever I would run to him. Then, he'd pick me up and either put me on his shoulders or swing me around like an airplane.


I remember hating puberty. I hated grade 7 and 8. It was tough and people started acting differently and shunning former friends.


I remember being nervous for high school and starting my high school journal with the cheesy title "The Wonder Years".

I remember taking one specific long walk with my dogs in the country. I had gotten my hair dyed black that day, and marvelled at my hair's deep contrast to the shiny sun which was glowing hot and mighty that day. It was a beautiful day.

I remember when my dog Bingo got hit by a car. I was so upset and scared for his life that I actually wrote a message to God, asking him to save my Bingo. Bingo couldn't even sit down; he was sleeping while standing. When he peed blood, I thought it was over. After a few days, he was fine.

I remember graduating high school and seeing that hat fly up in the air. "So that's it?"

I remember the summer before university. I had the house to myself for 2 months. I did a lot of soul searching that summer and went on long, insane bike rides. "In Blue" will always be the soundtrack to my summer of '01.

I remember ice skating, hot chocolates and laughs with friends from Ottawa. I remember the dancing, the parties and the dramas. Why so many winter memories? Why are they more vivid to me than the summer ones spent in Ottawa?

I remember my trip to Germany in the summer of '04. I felt very independent and confident, planning my way and trekking with my cousin through 4 major german cities. I still love looking at those pictures.

I remember my late-night talks with my best friends over love, life and school. I remember looking forward to coming home to the sounds of my best friends cooking, watching tv..."Helloooooooo it's moi!", I would say.

I remember hearing those three little words for the first time...very vividly.

I remember leaving Canada in June of '05 and thinking, "Hasta Luego, Canada". Happiness and Sadness were intertwined. What was to be expected?

I remember telling a woman sitting next to me about my plans for Spain. I can still hear her saying, "Good luck with that, I'm sure you'll do well. You seem to know what you want."
I remember thinking, after a few months in Spain, "I AM doing well here. Thank you lady, whatever your name was, for your good wishes."
I remember going back to Canada for xmas '06 and...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting poetic experiment, actually.

I'm sure that last sentence will finsih better than you could ever imagine. I'm looking forward to helping with that.

je t'aime.