Sunday, November 26, 2006

Nothing says Spain....


...like 2 old farts, sitting in complete opposite ends of the bus, shouting to each other about the weather and how their family is doing. I don't want to hear about your sister's hemorrhoids.

...like 2 young men getting into a pimped up car and a mother shouting from her window, "You wear your seatbelt, damn you! I mean it!"

...like mullets. If you're a woman and you're sporting one, even better.

...like gel. Lots and lots and lots of hair gel.

...like interrupting each other. If you succeed at interrupting at every 2nd word, you have mastered the art of speaking castellano. Make sure to throw in a few "Joder!" and "Coño!"

...like talking with the cashier for 5 hours, holding up the line. And nobody seems to care.

Oh, I could go on. Anyway ;).

I shall now talk about an interesting topic. The aged in España.

Old spanish people are fascinating. Well, they are also a bit hard on the nose sometimes, but overall they are quite interesting. Golden aged canadians are no match to the wine guzzling, motor-mouth talking, social spaniards. I know that I will be shocked when I go back to Canada for xmas and see old canadians with their walkers and wheelchairs, sipping their Tim Hortons coffee and solitarily gazing outside the windows. I admire the spaniards for exercising so much, for getting their butt outside and meeting up with their friends and families. I think that this is the key to their health. The spanish culture focuses more on family than north america in general and this ultimately has positive benefits on the state of their mental and physical health.

I think that many old canadians are forced into old folks homes. I don't even see establishments like these here (I'm sure they exist...but the families seem to take their moms and dads in if the going gets tough).

I'm amazed at how REALLY frail spanish women still go grocery shopping, lug their groceries every day back and forth, and hold up their grand-children. Most elderly canadians either sit on benches all day long and read the newspaper.

Ok, ok, it's not like that for ALL elderly canadians...but I know that I am right for the most part. These people are looking great for their age, and I admire that. They seek the company of others and this makes their minds and bodies younger, I believe.

Well, that was my rant on that.

Had a good weekend celebrating the birthday of a good friend and coworker. I feel like I wrote about 10 emails already recapping what I did this past weekend, so I'll just make it brief; had some good italian pizza, went out for a beer, and then on Saturday went shopping with some friends at an enormous store that was so huge that the customer service helpers have to wear rollerskates to get around. It's even bigger than the largest Wal-Mart that I've ever seen...

In 2 weeks I'm going to Granada with my friends, should be fun! I'll make sure to take lots of pics so that you'll all be able to see them. The hostal is booked...now we just need to reserve tickets to go see the Alhambra, which is supposed to be a really cool Arabian monument. It's aparently enormous...can't wait.

I didn't go to the cinema this weekend...hopefully there will be something good in the movie theatres this upcoming Friday. I wonder when the new Harry Potter will come out? I'm looking forward to seeing it. I'm also dying to see Borat...but will have to wait until I'm on canadian soil. Just can't imagine Borat speaking with a dubbed spanish voice. (Shudders).

xoxoxoxox H.

No comments: